Packing cubes (also called "travel cubes") are small fabric sacks meant to help you organize your belongings when traveling. They can be used to separate clothes, travel toiletries, and other items you're bringing with you.
But the jury is still out on whether they're worth it or not. Some travelers swear by them, while others find that they're just another thing to pack.
So, what are the benefits of using a packing cube system? Hopefully, this article will help you decide if they're right for you.
What Are Packing Cubes Good For?
When everything is stuffed into a bag or suitcase, it can be hard to find what you're looking for. But if things are neatly organized into packing cubes, it can be easy-peasy.
This is what a packing cube system is for. It helps you organize your belongings (ideally by category) so that you're not digging through a pile of clothes to find your socks or your, ahem, underwear.
Packing cubes for travel come in different shapes and sizes. When they're available as a set, they'll sometimes form a neat rectangle or square when packed in one or two layers. This way, you can maximize the use of space in your luggage.
Are Travel Cubes Right for You?
Whether or not packing cubes are worth it largely depends on your packing style, mode of transportation, and the length of your trip.
For example, if you're driving to a nearby destination and spending one or two nights, you might be tempted to throw everything into a weekender bag and call it a day.
On the other hand, even one- or two-night stays may be more comfortable if your clothes and toiletries are organized in a way that makes them easy to find. This is especially useful if you're on a tight itinerary and can't afford to spend time looking for your moisture-wicking socks, neck gaiter, or travel bandana (you get the gist).
Other Packing Cube Benefits
In addition to helping you stay organized, packing cubes for travel offer other benefits:
- A packing cube system can help compress your clothes and save space in your luggage, carry-on, or backpack.
- Travel cubes help prevent your clothes from getting too wrinkled while traveling.
- If you're using a packing checklist, packing cubes can help you make sure that you've packed everything you need.
- They can also make it easier to find things in your luggage, so you can spend less time looking for stuff and more time enjoying your trip.
- When available in different sizes, it can be helpful to use the smaller cubes for undergarments and other small items. The larger cubes can be used for items like pants, blouses, and sweaters.
- Packing cubes for travel aren't just for clothes. You can also use them to store and organize your tech gear. For example, you can pack your cords, adapters, camera cables, and batteries all into one cube.
- Travel cubes keep essential items handy in your carry-on bag or backpack. A small cube can hold your earplugs, headphones, a backup ATM or credit card, and more. Plus, if the cube has a handle, you can easily slip it in and out of your bag.
- A packing cube system can also reduce waste by sparing you from plastic baggies that harm the environment.
- They can also help you organize your road trip essentials in one place, so you can drive or ride with peace of mind.
How To Use Travel Cubes Like a Boss
If you've decided that packing cubes are right for you, or if you want to know how to pack a suitcase in a way that maximizes space, here are some tips on how to do just that:
1) Pack your clothes in travel cubes by category. For example, pack all of your tops together, all of your pants together, socks, underwear, and so on.
2) If you're using packing cubes for travel in different sizes, pack the smaller items in the smaller cubes and the larger items in the larger cubes.
3) If possible, try to pack clothes that can be worn multiple times during your trip in the same cube. This will help you avoid packing too many cubes.
4) If you're traveling with a carry-on backpack, try packing your cubes in that bag instead of your luggage. This will help you save on space.
5) If you're using travel cubes for your tech gear, try to pack all of the cords and adapters in just one cube. This will help keep them organized and easy to find.
7) Try labeling your packing cube system with a label maker or stickers to quickly find the items you need when traveling.
Final Thoughts on Packing Cubes for Travel From Gravel
Whether you're a seasoned traveler or a newbie, travel cubes can help you stay organized, save space, and prevent wrinkling. If you're not sure whether packing cubes are right for you or how to use them, give these tips a try and let us know what you think in the comments below.