Travel is an exciting and enriching experience, full of new sights and adventures.
And inspirational travel quotes can be a great way to motivate yourself to get out there and explore.
Here are 30 of our favorite quotes about travel. We hope they inspire you to set out on your next adventure!
30 Inspirational Quotes for Traveling
The following quotes on travel are by historical figures. They reflect the thrill of adventure and discovery that makes travel a unique and unforgettable experience.
1. "Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart
2. "Take only memories, leave only footprints." - Chief Seattle
3. "Wherever you go, go with all your heart." - Confucius
4. "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu
5. "The gladdest moment in human life, me thinks, is a departure into unknown lands." - Sir Richard Burton
6. "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
7. "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." - African proverb
8. "Traveling — it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller." - Ibn Battuta
9. "We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." - Jawaharlal Nehru
10. "Don't tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have traveled." - Mohammed
The next ten inspirational travel quotes are by novelists, essayists, and other influential writers. They highlight how travel can challenge our assumptions and open our eyes to new perspectives.
11. "Oh, the places you'll go." - Dr. Seuss
12. "Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R Tolkien
13. "If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it is lethal." - Paulo Coelho
14. "Not I, nor anyone else can travel that road for you, you must travel it for yourself." - Walt Whitman
15. "People don’t take trips, trips take people." - John Steinbeck
16. "I haven’t been everywhere, but it's on my list." - Susan Sontag
17. "For my part, I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." - Robert Louis Stevenson
18. "To move, to breathe, to fly, to float, to gain all while you give, to roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live." - Hans Christian Andersen
19. "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
20. "There is a world elsewhere." - Shakespeare
Our last ten inspirational quotes for traveling are by more contemporary figures. They capture the sense of wonder and possibility that travel can awaken.
21. "It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end." - Ursula K. Le Guin
22. "The journey is part of the experience — an expression of the seriousness of one's intent. One doesn't take a train to Mecca." - Anthony Bourdain
23. "The more I traveled, the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends." - Shirley MacLaine
24. "If all difficulties were known at the outset of a long journey most of us would never start out at all." - Dan Rather
25. "To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted." - Bill Bryson
26. "The wish to travel seems to me characteristically human: the desire to move, to satisfy your curiosity or ease your fears, to change the circumstances of your life, to be a stranger, to make a friend, to experience an exotic landscape, to risk the unknown." - Paul Theroux
27. "To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice." - Elizabeth Gilbert
28. "You travel to search and you come back home to find yourself there." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
29. "Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life." - Michael Palin
30. "Travel far enough, you meet yourself." - David Mitchell
Recap of our Favorite Quotes About Travel
No matter where your journey takes you, or what inspirational quotes for traveling you find along the way, one thing's for certain: travel is transformative.
So pack your bags, set your sights on a new horizon, and get ready to explore the world!
What are some of your favorite travel quotes? Let us know in the comments below.
Need travel gear? Check out our rad collection of toiletry bags, travel blankets, backpacks, and more at the online shop.